Mt. Vesuvius Volcano Pompeii

The Mt Vesuvius volcano in Pompeii is one of the most memorable volcanoes of all time.

Mt Vesuvius erupted several times but it was most destructive in 79AD. It’s eruption buried two Italian towns which were Pompeii and Herculaneum. A growing cloud of volcanic ash, gases and debris rolled down the hills and surrounded Pompeii. The victims died instantly because the superheated air burned their lungs and contracted their muscles which is why they were left to die in a semi-curled position.

The eruption lasted two days and the people involved were extremely unprepared. The Romans at the time blatantly ignored the signs of a volcanic eruption and they failed to see the link between earthquakes and volcanoes.

The ash that fell on and killed the people of Pompeii actually preserved their bodies and explores have recently found fossils of the bodies.

I have found this song online and I think it links to Mt Vesuvius. The song is called Pompeii and you need to listen carefully to the lyrics and tell me if you think it means.

This is what I think the video lyrics mean:

‘And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love’ This means that before the eruption an earthquake occurred due to volcanic activity.

‘Great clouds roll over the hills bringing darkness from above’ This means that a growing cloud of volcanic ash, gases and debris came rolling down the hills of Pompeii.

‘But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?’ This means that the people of Pompeii just closed their eyes and suffocated to death while they were just going about their everyday lives. They were extremely oblivious to the volcanic eruption.

‘How am I gonna be an optimist about this?’ This means that the Romans were optimists because they thought Pompeii was safe and they disregarded the link between earthquakes and volcanoes.

‘We were caught up and lost in all of our vices.’ This means that the Romans were too caught up in their everyday lives to recognise that they were living near a deadly volcano.

‘In your pose as the dust settles around us.’ This means that the people of Pompeii died in their own positions as the dust and volcanic ash settles around them. These were actually later found as fossils.

‘Where do we begin? The rubble or our sins?’ I think this means, where do we begin, the mess that Pompeii was left with or the sins that all the Romans made.

I hope you learnt something and this was very fun.